Tuesday, November 29, 2005

"How Lovely Shines the Morning Star" 1: O Bother

For the past three weeks, my plan to memorize 100 hymns in a year has been stuck. Number 9, "How Lovely Shines the Morning Star," has fewer stanzas than Number 8, "Prayer of Saint Patrick," but it's bothersome for several reasons.

1) It was composed, words and tune together, in German. Unlike "Patrick," it did not wait around for a versified translation before being paired with its tune. That means, for a purist like myself, that the full feeling of the hymn would come through better in German than in English. But it's more likely to be of use to congregations in English. So I mulled it over for a couple weeks--German or English? English.

2) But there are so many translations of it in English, even more, it seems, than of Luther's "Ein' Feste Burg" ("A Mighty Fortress"). I finally settled on a "translation, composite" from a Lutheran hymnal. Composite translations are so bothersome, because the unifying idea is the editor's rather than the translator's; you get even further removed from the purity of the original text. But, courage!--the Bible itself was brought to us by "translation, composite": the oral tradition passed through God-knows-how-many-people, then the various compilers and editors for the written form, then the translators for our English version, and possibly other steps I have overlooked in ignorance of the process. Singing "How Lovely Shines the Morning Star" from "translation, composite" is a great way of challenging my prejudices about the superiority of the individual artist.

3) The melodic rhythm of 1599 is slippery for 2005 ears to grasp, ears that have "cut their teeth" on sixteen bars of quarter notes. The Lutheran version, usually more rhythmically robust than the watered-down non-denominational hymnals, apparently preserves the original rhythms, guaranteed to wake up a stultified congregation. It lifts off with a phrase of mostly half notes, after which the second phrase echoes the melodic theme with a volley of rapid-fire quarter notes, then mixes up these rhythms in the third phrase. After two half-note rests in which to brace for the next round, the whole thing repeats. Then it glides into four beautiful half notes, poetically matched to words of one or two syllables, like cease-fires in the middle of the music, and bang! Off again into three measures of little black quarter notes, peppering the page, when you suddenly find yourself over a peaceful plain, wafting down on a beautiful descending phrase, the exact same rhythm as the opening line, that serves as a summation and cool-down stretches at the end of an invigorating workout. My mind is simply not used to this level of artistry in congregational song.

4) The text is uncomfortably personal. I found myself crying after the first stanza. The shimmering text, the beautiful melodic lines, the rapturous expansion of the idea of the "Bridegroom" now "filling all the heavenly places," like light itself, was overwhelming. What with crying after each stanza and then recovering and then reflecting on connections to my personal life prompted by this experience and then recovering from that and then thinking that maybe that's enough emotion for today, I'm having a lot of trouble getting through this song.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rebecca!

I'm not quite as ambitious as you, but I have also been inspired to do some more memorizing. One of the hymns we sang in church last week was Come Ye Thankful People Come. It's also the first hymn sung in Narnia (cf. The Magician's Nephew). It's a glorious extended metaphor on the world as God's field, and the coming harvest.

Also, as Advent rolls around, I find myself interested in memorizing the most popular stanzas of Of the Father's Love Begotten. I love the plainchant melody, and the words are wonderful.

I find I want to memorize because then I don't have to be dependent on a hymnal when I feel like singing!

Rebecca Abbott said...

Bryan! It's good to hear from you.

What do you mean it's the "first hymn sung in Narnia"? I don't remember any hymn being mentioned by name when Narnia began....

Our good old friend, the Cyber Hymnal, has all those stanzas of "Of the Father's Love"--http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/o/f/ofthefat.htm.

I cannot believe that YOU think I'm ambitious, or that you are less amibitious! You were the one who rebuked me in college for not having memorized the "Te Deum" and the Mass in Latin, and who used to insist that we address each other in Latin. I used to feel very badly about not having memorized the "Te Deum" until I realized I was accountable to God for the use of my memory and not to you, dear fellow! May you feel the same way about memorizing hymns--that you're accountable only to God and that, when you do it, you do it for the joy.

So what topics or hymns would you like to see discussed in here?

Anonymous said...

From _The Magician's Nephew_, chapter 8, The Fight at the Lamp-Post, here is an extended quotation:

[Frank the cabby is speaking] And if you ask me, I think the best thing we could do to pass the time would be to sing a 'ymn." And he did. He struck up at once a harvest thanksgiving hymn, all about crops being "safely gathered in." It was not very suitable to a place which felt as if nothing had ever grown there since the beginning of time, but it was the one he could remember best. He had a fine voice and the children joined in; it was very cheering. Uncle Andrew and the Witch did not join in. [end quote]

Yes, I love the CyberHymnal too! Also, are you familiar with the Choral Public Domain Library? (www.cpdl.org)

Gosh, Rebecca, I find myself somewhat sheepish at rebuking you so much. I do hope you will forgive my youthful impetuousness. Come to think of it, I don't have the Te Deum memorized in Latin, only in English.

I did memorize Poe's The Raven as well as John Donne's holy sonnet (Batter my heart, three-person'd God) last year. But I don't think my memory is what it once was. I find it takes me longer to memorize things, and once memorized, they slip out of my mind alarmingly quickly.

I'm not quite sure what other topics I'd like to see. I think you're off to a fine start. I think the whole point of a blog like this is random musings under one umbrella topic (in this case, hymns) and seeing where that leads.

Rebecca Abbott said...

Thanks, Bryan! I guess I haven't read "Narnia" for several years and (wrongly) assumed I had internalized ALL the references. How interesting that Narnia sang a song about the harvest being gathered in before they had planted anything! I suppose it's a spiritual reference to Aslan's having done all the planting for them.

"Te Deum" only in English? Well, now. No more feeling sheepish! THANK GOD we're all growing up!

Anonymous said...

I confess similar feelings about this hymn. Though raised Lutheran, our church leadership at the time was much more reformed or fundamentalist and I didn't even scratch the surface of these treasures until, as a young adult, I went to a LCMS college for two years. It was the beginning of my love of the depth of tradition/ Hymns were a doorway. Though I lacked the vocabulary and understanding to tell anyone why, this became my favorite hymn while I was there. I was so deply touched by it I insited on having it as one of the prelude hymns at my wedding. Our pastor didn't understand-this "wasn't a typical wedding hymn" (remember the 70's-folk and popular music was the norm)-oh we all were so ignorant. It was THE Wedding Hymn.
I will never live long enough to mine all the beauty and meaning from even a single stanza from this Queen of Chorales.

Rebecca Abbott said...

What a great story about your wedding hymn!

That gives me an idea to do a post about my husband's and my wedding music. It, too, was "non-traditional" for our present era, but deeply traditional in the context of church history!

Anonymous said...

Rebecca,
What are the 100 Hymns you are memorizing? Did I miss them somewhere? I'm interested in hearing about them.

Thanks for a really interesting blog (you know-for geeks!)

~Sean

Rebecca Abbott said...

Dear Fellow Geek,

Delighted to meet you! How did you find this blog?

No, I haven't written a post yet on the 100 Hymns. Please see an upcoming post on this topic, since you've given me the idea.

Thank you for your comment.

Rebecca