Thursday, December 08, 2005

Children's Sermons: Valid as Worship Education?

Here’s a question for you: did children’s sermons do you any good when you were a child?

You know, the times when the pastor asked for “all the children to come forward,” and you all sat on the steps in front of the lectern, and the pastor crouched down too and spoke in an unusually mild and just plain unusual voice for several minutes.

I’m not asking about whether they do you good now, as an adult. In fact, children’s sermons seem entirely oriented toward the adults as they put on display “cute” answers blown into the microphone and the cute children themselves padding down the aisle and then wandering about the platform during their sermon. Who hasn’t giggled at the prim child who keeps raising her hand and the stagey child who keeps waving to his parents? Who hasn't experienced a thrill of righteous indignation against the particularly wayward child or its parents? I have enjoyed many children’s sermons as the best entertainment of the service. But do they meet any child’s spiritual needs?

My childhood was filled with object lessons from the children’s sermons. I remember sand pails and shovels, teddy bears and broken dolls, photographs of family members, paper hearts, paper shamrocks, rocks of many sizes, candy canes, doughnut holes, closed paper bags and empty paper bags—in fact, all the objects but none of the lessons. The moral of the lessons, based on my observations of children’s sermons as an adult, was something like “God loves you” or “Obey your parents” or “Be nice to each other” but was never presented meaningfully enough to sink in or change my behavior.

Mind you, these memories include many pastors and many denominations, too, whether my parents’ or people’s we were visiting—Christian Reformed, Covenant, Presbyterian (U.S.A. and Church in America), Baptist (American and Southern), Lutheran (Evangelical and Missouri Synod), Evangelical Free, non-denominational, Nazarene.

These lessons had three effects on me: (1) they intensified my smug sense of self-importance because I usually knew exactly where the pastor was heading and, if not, "Jesus" was a safe bet for an answer (I was the prim child); (2) they made me long to be dismissed to Sunday school; (3) they induced either a general sense of good will toward the pastor, if he produced doughnut holes or candy from the paper bag at the end of the lesson, or a general sense of resentment toward the pastor, if he did not.

What I really remember are all the Bible stories from Sunday school and every one of the songs from the Sunday school and the adult services. I can still remember the story of Zacchaeus and the accompanying song (“Zacchaeus, YOU COME DOWN, for I’m coming to your house today”), the story of Peter’s calling (“I will make you fishers of men, if you follow Me”), the lame men being healed in the temple (“Silver and gold have I none, but such as I have give I you; in the Name of Jesus Christ the Lord, in Jesus’ name, rise up and walk!”), and all the grown-up songs that I had to stand on the pew to sing out of my mother’s hymnal: “Great Is Thy Faithfulness,” “Holy, Holy, Holy,” “When Peace Like a River.” These songs and stories have stayed with me and enriched my life over the years far more than the object lessons and little talks with pastor up at the front of the church.

I believe that most of these pastors are of good will. I’m not accusing them of dismissing children’s needs when they struggle to create their “edifying” chats, but does anybody remember what it was like to be a child when they are crafting those dread object lessons? Has anybody surveyed children WHEN THEY ARE GROWN UP to see if the children's sermons stuck with them, or is the phenomenon of the children's sermon based merely on good intentions and the theory that children will remember an abstract moral message if it is linked to a concrete visual?

I have come to a decision; as an adult, I can make this difficult sacrifice: I could give up the weekly entertainment if it would free the children for Sunday school and singing.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may be giving away my age, but we didn't have children's sermons when I was growing up. It was an old German Lutheran congregation, and the attitude toward children was speak when you are spoken to, don't embarrass your parents in church, and don't ask questions.
HOWEVER, I feel what I leaned was superior to the insipid object lessons that are poor excuses in fulfilling the command of "bringing up a child in the way..."

The Sunday School hour began with a general opening every Sunday (and everyone went to Sunday School class-there was no Church service going on at the same time-they were two separate, equally important part of the sunday experience).
At the openings we might have sung a children's song or two (Jesus loves me, etc., but otherwise we sang hymns, real hymns. The language of the hymns was explained (year after year-all ages from nursery to high school attended these openings which generally lasted 15 minutes, after which we went to our individual classes).
Some of the hymns (I still have a copy of the sunday school Hymnal-Hymns and Songs for Church Schools-Augsburg1962) that stick in my mind, because, looking back, they seemed unusual choices to teach to children, but I was glad they did;

Dear Lord and Father of Mankind
O come, O come Emmanuel
From Heaven Above
Thy little ones, oh Lord are we
and many other Christmas carols
Were you there?
Holy, Holy, Holy
In Heaven Above (Norwegian Melody)
Beautiful Savior
Immortal, Invisible
All Glory Laud and Honor
Jesus Lover of my Soul
All Creatures of our God and King
I love to tell the Story
Fling out the Banner

Can you imagine trying to get kids to sing these today?
B what a heritage, and vocabulary,
seeds of advanced theology, and preparation for full participation in the Church service

Another thing we did, and my Grandmother instituted this (I am so proud of her-taught Sunday School for 50 years). Concerned that we were no longer required to memorize the catechism, at each opening for about 5 years (when the revisionists came in) we recited the ten commandments, straight from Exodus, including the part of about visiting the iniquities of the fathers...3rd and 4th generations..but showing steadfast love to ...those who keep my commandments.
To this day, it's the few longer sections of scripture I can still quote. Between that, the Liturgy, and the creed (also part of each opening), I think I got a better foundation that years of Children's sermons would have given me.

Rebecca Abbott said...

Now THAT'S a good Sunday school! I'm glad you kept your songbook. That chimes with what I've seen of other Sunday school songbooks from a generation or two ago.

How did our world change so fast? "Keeping up with the times" has meant throwing away all sense of time!

Nan, I think our other readers have dropped off for a while. I may take a break for a few days to build readership and explore some other blogs!

Thanks for your comment.

Philip said...

I'm a pastor, and was googling "children's sermon reconciled" yesterday and came across this post.

The reason I was googling that is because my sermon for the grown-ups was about how Christ reconciles us to God, and I was thinking about how to communicate that to the kids during the children's sermon.

Imagine my surprise when I came across this post that echoed what I've been thinking for years. "Why do children's sermons?"

I learned a few years ago that for the most part object lessons are worthless for kids. (Though grown ups love 'em). The kids are tuned into the puppy or play-dough, but then when you switch to a spiritual concept you lose them.

So I spend more of my time teaching a bible story (or having them act it out with me). I think that if you use an object, that the object ought to be the object and not represent something else.

So anyway, I realize this is an old post but it helped me. I just read it to my children's minister and he loved it.

I agree with you and think you make a great point. You did a great job of reminding us what it's like from the kids point of view too.

Oh and in case you are wondering, what I did for the children's sermon is that I had the children act out a mini-story where one child took a plastic egg out of the hand of another (who was my 7 year old son) and then smashed it. There was candy inside, which I had my son, "the victim" give to the smasher. And then I said they were friends. And I talked about how Jesus loved us while we were God's enemies, and turned us into God's friends.

Don't know if it worked, but I tried. It was not one of my better attempts. But I try to teach actual spiritual truths to the kids and not the typical "God loves you" , "Obey your parents" stuff.

By the way, I found no other children's sermons online or in my library on the subject of reconciliation.

Rebecca Abbott said...

Thanks so much, Philip, for your detailed comment and affirmation! If you would like to email me directly at hymnnotesatyahoodotcom, I've done rather more research on including children in the service and would be happy to pass on the titles of a few solid publications. They have far better suggestions than the typical children's sermon. I agree entirely with your idea of "letting the object be the object".

Marlene Walker said...

I am very shocked at your comment about children's sermons. I am not a pastor. I am an educator and a Christian. I have taught Sunday School for years. I have been an elementary teacher for 20 years and now I am a director of a Christian preschool. I have been asked by our pastor to do the children's sermons. I try to teach the children Christian values. Some of the children have no where else to hear things like this! I base my messages on the Bible. And parents tell me what an impact some of my messages have had on their child. And yes, the adults enjoy my messages too. What can it hurt for an adult to listen to a simplified message.
After all, when we get an opportunity to teach children about Jesus, we should not let the time be wasted!

Rebecca Abbott said...

Marlene--I entirely agree that "we should not let the time be wasted."